A lingua franca for content organization

@trwnh @julian @rimu This is not exactly user friendly : /

@AaronNGray @julian @rimu the user friendly wording would depend on the specific presentation. there's actually no data difference between a chat message, forum post, social media status, blog entry, and so on. you could use any of a wide variety of terms at a user level.

@trwnh @julian Yes I realize we are looking at an abstract model or set of abstract models that describe real world user entities to varying degrees. But by user I meant the user of our model or models, sorry I should have been more specific there.

@Rimu It’d make sense to add lines for Friendica, Hubzilla and the streams repository to the spreadsheet. After all, Friendica introduced discussion groups/forums to the Fediverse, and the other two are descendants of Friendica made by Friendica’s own creator.

Oh, and should you add a line for Misskey, maybe including the Forkeys, you’ll also need a column for the first post because Misskey calls it a “note”.

#FediMeta #FediverseMeta #CWFediMeta #CWFediverseMeta #Terminology

I think that this actually makes the most sense from a technical point of view since ActivityPub is that common language which we're all speaking already.

Ironically you mentioned context and linked out to FEP-7888 which only proves my point that even within the confines of ActivityPub there isn't consensus on what a higher ordered collection would be called!

@silverpill@mitra.social @rimu@mastodon.nzoss.nz @AaronNGray@fosstodon.org @trwnh@mastodon.social

@julian @silverpill @rimu @AaronNGray a context-of-contexts? nth-order context? you're right that there isn't really a term for "collection of collections", but that's really because the collection model inherits from ldp containers, which are basically like directories or folders. you can of course have subfolders or subdirectories. does this deserve a special term? well... maybe, maybe not.

@julian @silverpill @rimu @AaronNGray there is a tangential point here -- there is no way to signal what a collection *contains*. for example, "this is a collection of Notes" or "this is a collection of Activities" or "this is a collection of Collections" or "this is a collection of collections of collections", and so on. maybe this doesn't matter, but it could be helpful information to orient oneself...

@devnull the behavior i'm observing is that when i make a self-reply, it doesn't get boosted by the "threadiverse working group" actor, and for some time, it doesn't appear in-thread on nodebb. but it might get fetched later when someone else replies to it...

@trwnh

@mikedev proposed the new collectionOf property in his recent post:

https://fediversity.site/item/01ed3c36-13b8-4a74-b111-24027bcc0697

@rimu @AaronNGray @julian

@silverpill @trwnh @rimu @mikedev @julian

Interesting, will have to digest overnight against the specs.

I am fond of proper typing, but it can also get in the way if the type system is not flexible enough to express what is required.
A type system may allow disjoint unions or variants or more complex definitions required for expression.

A type annotation can be used as a hint, erased, or used as an assertion.

The FEP process can allow formalization as a route to testing in implementations.

@julian Yes, please, common names for things, please. Some kind of IANA registry for object types?

@trwnh Can you point me to the note that wasn't immediately picked up?

I can't say for certain, my guess is if it was just a self-reply (not mentioning anybody but yourself), Mastodon won't deliver it to me, since I wasn't `inReplyTo` or mentioned/tagged.

@devnull you were mentioned, though... not sure what happened there!

@devnull is there some kind of anti spam cooldown?

@trwnh@mastodon.social nope (although perhaps there should be heh).

It's entirely possible that some logic is faulty and causes posts to be dropped. That'd be less than ideal, and rather hard to catch, too.

@julian these two never made it across, it seems...

@trwnh sorry to bother you about this again, could you let me know the URLs for those toots?

@Transportist@mastodon.social lol... all these standards...

@julian I checked the excel, and by using similar alphabetical logic... came up with this:

Book, Chapter, Dialogue, Exhange

Groups of groups: Book
Group where discussions about one sort of thing happen: Chapter
A discussion in a group: Dialogue/Debate
Replies to the first post in a discussion: Exchange/Engagement

@devnull

https://mastodon.social/@trwnh/112281961971187240

https://mastodon.social/@trwnh/112281966283361424