Article vs. Note vs. Page

@evan @trwnh see this gallery post for example https://notiz.blog/2019/10/16/10-hwc-karlsruhe/

Here is the JSON version https://notiz.blog/2019/10/16/10-hwc-karlsruhe/?activitypub

@evan @pfefferle well, not quite, a Collection is a generic presentation mechanism and can contain anything, like ldp containers or a filesystem directory/folder... whereas a MediaAlbum type would be specifically a Collection containing Image/Video, kind of like media albums on Facebook. i suppose it could also be done as a “range” property of type:vocab, but having a dedicated type allows some impls to treat it as a “post” if desired

@evan the separate type would be specifically for signalling additional semantic meaning, namely "this is a media album", i.e. "this Collection contains only Image and Video items"

@mikedev @nutomic @pfefferle @renchap @julian @pfefferle @nutomic That was a different time. Since then WordPress has joined the Fediverse, and now Ghost is about to join as well. I think the ability to display rich content may soon become a serious competitive advantage.

1 Like

@julian

Not every software needs to handle Article/Note differently. From a forum perspective, or at least in NodeBB, Articles and Notes are both just added to topics and the posts that make up topics can be of any length.

Right. If your software has full support for long-form, formatted posts, especially if that includes creating them, and if your users are used to them, there’s no need in handling them differently. See Friendica and its descendants.

@pfefferle @evan the thing i’d be interested in thinking through is Create Collection (or a subtype) instead of Create Note, because the Collection itself may have relevant metadata. or more abstractly, defining what a wordpress Image or wordpress Video really means

@silverpill@mitra.social said in Article vs. Note vs. Page:

Since then WordPress has joined the Fediverse, and now Ghost is about to join as well. I think the ability to display rich content may soon become a serious competitive advantage.

Completely agreed. The best time to consider a different approach is now, so I am hoping we can make some headway here at the WG meeting. Stay tuned...

cc @mikedev@fediversity.site @jupiter_rowland@hub.netzgemeinde.eu