FEP-1b12: Group federation

My main concern here would be that this approach seems to be going in a different direction than the other discussions. (see Standardizing on ActivityPub Groups)
I don’t want to end up with two separate ways to implement a group going forward.

Beyond that:

• The “Announcing activities” thing still seems like a weird Lemmy-ism, though I also never got a clear answer on how activity forwarding is meant to work in general so I suppose this is technically valid
  • “Implementations SHOULD ensure that activities wrapped in this way keep all their original data.”
    I don’t see how this is meaningful, given that the remote server already can’t trust data being forwarded unless you use LDSigs, which to my understanding already require all the fields
  • Don’t love the “moderation activity blacklist”, seems like there ought to be a better option to validate these. Broadcasting follows also might make sense for some implementations, I would leave that up to the to/cc fields in the activity itself
  • As always, Delete belongs to the content author. Something else should be used for group rejection
1 Like