FEP-d36d: Sharing Content Across Federated Forums

How? From my reading, 2100 is using the same Group to Group follow mechanism that d36d is proposing. I didn’t read anything in it that describes handling an instance going down. That sounds like a great feature and I’d love to merge it into d36d.

Its mentioned in the summary, though there is no explanation how exactly it would work on the protocol level. It could definitely use more details and of course a working implementation.

Basic threadiverse functionality breaks right now if an instance goes down. d36d doesn’t change that at all. The main purpose of it was to alleviate the duplicate thread issue where each instance has its own local community for a topic and users think they need to post to multiple communities. Discussion gets fragmented across these communities and users have trouble keeping up with where conversation is happening. This is a constant complaint I’ve seen across lemmy and kbin. I would argue that solving it would be a great benefit and if we can merge 2100 into d36d the benefit is even greater.

There have been many such complaints right after the Reddit migration, but they calmed down a lot as people got used to the platform and existing ways to discover communities. Reddit also has plenty of duplicate threads across different communities. And to some extent thats expected because different communities will discuss the same topic differently. So I dont think this feature is really important, there are countless other issues on Lemmy which are much higher priority.