FEP-f1d5: NodeInfo in Fediverse Software

Thanks @grishka, I’ll update the FEP to add Smithereen – an oversight on my part (sorry!). Hopefully the bullet in the FEP that reads…

• The localPosts and localComments are not denormalized into pairs of (kind, counts) for software that, for example, hosts audio files, hosts videos, or software that does not have comments, or does not have posts.

…captures your comments around photo albums. You’re correct that ideas like (kind, count) I’m trying to not be too technically prescriptive/dictatorial in solutions, just give a general sense of what alternatives could look like. I can update the FEP to make that clearer.

Additionally, Mike provided the following feedback to me here:

• Providing the version should never be mandatory (this is potentially a critical security issue).
  • Count of “users” should likewise not be mandatory, and if it is, the concept needs to be better defined.

In my projects, a single user can be the controlling party behind an unlimited number of communication channels which may or may not be related. The same account registrant can also create groups and “collections” (aka sub-channels). They can also clone any of these communication channels to multiple servers. It isn’t always obvious what percentage of that user’s overall activity was actually carried out on a different website. Should they be able to claim this as some percentage of a single user’s activity? If not, the counts will be wrong. Either one site will claim 100% of the user and the others will have to remove that user from their own tallies (resulting in a fictional total for any of these sites), or they will each claim 1 user and the tallies will likewise be fictional.

I’m inclined to disagree on the first bullet, but fully agree on the rest.

My disagreement on the first bullet rests on the assumption that the “critical security issue” is disclosing of a software version number that identifies software as having a vulnerability (that may be patched at a later version). Simply removing the version number is obscuring the problem, not solving it, and is security-by-obscurity. Adversaries will simply try the exploit on a server that hasn’t disclosed a version anyway, and I would argue now non-malicious users and developers alike would have less information available to themselves to identify how many servers are still vulnerable, and contact admins to upgrade ASAP. Which is a net detriment, in my opinion.

As such, I’d like to avoid putting the first bullet in the FEP.

Mike’s second bullet and elaboration I agree with and would like to modify the FEP to include.