Hospitality exchange community considers moving to the fediverse ;)

We don’t have yet, it would be very nice though.

In FB groups for WS and some other travelers related and even the one that I moderate for Open alternative to WS people ask this questions every now and then. It’s rather annoying because it’s irrelevant to 99.9% of people (120K members for example) and the chances to find anyone, who lives in a bike-driving distance and is part of the group and is online and willing to host are pretty low I’d say.

1 Like

This is such a fascinating effort and I’m glad to be here as it’s getting started, with so much feedback coming from the SocialHub community. A lot of links have been provided which should make for some good reading.

On the technical side of AP-enablement, I see tremendous value in two approaches.

1. Delegating everything AP-specific to an external tool. GoFed is mentioned and ontologies which is frankly awesome. Potentially another hidden gem of the fediverse.
  2. For any systems that wish to implement AP, to try to do so as a plugin. The nice thing about plugins is they let core developers stay focused while instances can diversify and test out features more easily.

As an aside: On the point of local-only posts, is it not possible to leave that to each project? Certainly a project can have some internal flags on their objects that say, “don’t send this over the AP wire,” so it’s never becomes an AP concern.

-David

2 Likes

The hospitality exchange WWW projects are good examples “native” #openweb projects.

I have been using these form the early days, spending meany years Hitchicking around the world “the hospitality” of strangers is the norm for this pre web world is something we need to think about when building new tech tools to model ancient human traditions (have a MA dissertation on hitchhiking some were)

Couch-surfing has a VERY interesting social tech history that we can learn from.

The newer networks have much to say about the #geekproblem and the strong tendency to self ghetto our own projects.

I think AP is a good way out of these two issues. NOTE we are fixing a social problem, good to notice we are not fixing a technical problem with AP here :slight_smile:

If you are only thinking of fixing a tech problem with AP It’s likely not to have a good outcome.

2 Likes

Following on the plugin idea from above, today I learned PeerTube supports plugins. It’s written in TypeScript which is similar to Trustroots’ Javascript so may be helpful as a reference implementation.

Here’s the doc on their plugins API: PeerTube Plugins API documentation

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

WelcomeToMyGarden moves to TypeScript too.

As an aside: On the point of local-only posts, is it not possible to leave that to each project?

Good point, thx!

I have a project (mentioned above) I’m planning that has plugins, called Service Modules, as a central concept: Groundwork. The idea is to explore some interesting features:

• Service modules are dynamically pluggable at runtime.
  • Service modules are polyglot, can be written in many languages.
  • Service modules are ideal for providing domain-specific extensions (using Linked Data aspects of AP spec)
  • The process of developing interoperable code itself will be explored to ease app development.

When launching this project I’d like to do that with a group of people similarly interested in having solid foundations of any federated app (auth/authz, user management, core federation mechanisms, etc.) - the common denominator - unified in an active and healthy FOSS project where many contributors expand and improve its base. Service modules that anyone creates on top of Groundwork will become available as library building block to other devs.

1 Like

Nice! I used hitchhiking to get to highschool every morning 20 years ago, train schedules have never been my thing.

Same, was hosted so many times by strangers when traveling the world by bike. Central Asia/Middle East people are the most incredibly hospitable, it’s such a pity that after wars in Afghanistan and Iraq people in that whole region are seen as hostile. I haven’t thought about hospitality (or luck of it) as a pre/post web issue, for me it was more that in the countries where there is no good governance and infrastructure serving people needs, there is no other choice than to lean on other people and as a result there is much more solidarity among people and in general they support each other as much as they can. Need to think about tech role in it, very interesting thought with potentially far reaching consequences/opportunities. Probably worth it’s own conversation separate from this one.

1 Like

The nice and very precious thing in the hospitality exchange and sharing communities is how their participants have experienced human nature. And the truly good parts of it, for that matter. I often say that we are increasingly living in a “distrust-first” society, and hypercapitalism breeds ever more of that distrust. The web with traditional social media (based on wrong incentives and business models) and flood of globalized news content (where negative news sells best) serves to tremendously accelerate the erosion of Trust.

Here I think that there is a big opportunity by bringing hospitality and sharing domains to the fediverse, as it will serve to further strenghten our culture. The platforms created here can be exemplars, where good vibes and proper human values rub off on fedizens, and help the virtuous cycle that uplifts culture ever further. I just copied an article I wrote some time ago with more background on Trust vs. Distrust as I see it: The Benefits of Trusting People First - Social - Humane Tech Community (relates to how I see Humanity as the key factor to create humane technology).

2 Likes

Sounds really really good, @aschrijver! The whole project but in particular these points seems so relevant at the moment:

when discussion here and so often with other projects goes into choice between two or more general purpose languages where both are good to do the job and it’s really a matter of individual preferences with a consequence of excluding from participation people with other then chosen tech stack experience. Did I already mention that I hate monoliths?

I’d be in, either for hospex (depends on others) or my tools and slow-travelers gear sharing projects.

2 Likes

How to move away from the churn.

"A river that needs crossing political and tech – On the political side, there is arrogance and ignorance, on the geek side there is naivety and over complexity

All code is ideology solidified into action – most contemporary code is capitalism, this is hardly a surprise if you think about this for a moment. Yes you can try and act on any ideology on top of this code but the outcome and assumptions are preprogramed… cant find any good links on this."

The gift economy goes way back to the beginning of human history. The problem we face is that most of our #geekproblem crew code for capitalism even when they are agenst capitalism “naivety and over complexity”

This is a poverty that leads directly to the high churn in alt-tech. We have to stop adding more tech-shit to the pile, which means challenging our own assumptions aspersherly of people who come up with “new” ideas as 99% of the time these are not new and are just churning old failed models. Its beyond boring, and It’s going to lead to millions of us dying and billions of us being displaced in the next 100 years #XR

We need to stop churning and start digging, compost the tech crap, plant seeds in the rich soil of this compost and grow a natural, humane, forest to live our lives in.

We need to do this today, next week, and all next year. Yes its work.

There are 20 years of thinking on this here http://hamishcampbell.com with some paths out of this mess.

AP is a excellent way of meadating this issue, but most of the current codebases cannot be refacted with this at its core, the resources and skills are just not there. Maybe something like forgefed, can bolted onto the existing codebase till the focus and energy can be found to do versions as a part of the fedivers.

@mariha could you help with OFFDEM accommodation? I am not sure how to proceed to use hospitality.network and help people find accommodation in Brussels to attend OFFDEM in March.

hey @how, I am not sure if I can help with this… how many people do you anticipate to come/need an accommodation?

I can list for you some of the hospex communities and people planning to come could ask for a stay with individuals, but there are a few things to be aware of/issues with this approach:

• in big cities / during festivals people who offer a stay at their homes can get easily overwhelmed with number of requests
  • there are people who are ok with hosting others unconditionally, maybe they want to be a part of the world where there is an alternative to commercial/capitalistic hospitality services or out of altruism to enable human mobility or some other motives, but most hosts are looking for human interaction with their guests and I believe it’s best if staying at someone’s home is treated as an option if both parts feel like they would enjoy it rather then a free accommodation with a choice/search/hunt at whose home to stay, all trying to find easiest access to the festival.

If we (OHN) had a broadcast mode, that would make a whole lot of difference because people who plan to come to the festival could broadcast their requests (a need to be hosted) and those who want to do so would answer them without feeling a pressure to do so and without being overwhelmed with tens of requests.

Maybe you as organizers could serve as brokers? You’d ask everyone who plans to come to declare their accommodation needs and pair them with those few people in the area who offer a stay at their homes? In that case, let me know and I’ll be happy to give you names of a few hospex communities that I am aware of.

There may be also some local forums or groups based on telegram / matrix / other messangers that you can use to broadcast hosting requests. @chagai95 might be more helpful with finding them then me.

1 Like

We’re going to use a couple of appartments and open a dormitory at the venue. We also have a dedicated topic where people can self-organize. I expect many of them to use the private conversation channel though. Happy to share experience and hosting offers from the free community through other channels.

I guess it’s not my thing to limit requests for hosts… Maybe, especially in pandemics, there are people who really miss someone visiting them.

The best one for this would be:

• HackerCouch.com (there are 3 people in Belgium, maybe they’d like to join you?)

The biggest/most common/most users/most chance to meet someone networks that come to my mind are (the list is highly opinionated):

There is also FairBnB.coop which is more socially sustainable alternative to AirBnB .com which might be an option too.

You can also check the list of many smaller Hospitality Exchange networks from Trustroots wiki.

I forgot about HackerCouch.com!
(just added it to the post above together with a few other edits)

2 Likes