This is a follow-up to Which links between ActivityPub and Solid project?.
Solid (discussed on their community forum) and the Fediverse have a lot in common. For the future of the Decentralized Web it is very important for there to be convergance of initiatives, instead of fragmentation.
I’d like to dedicate this thread to investigate the ways in which Solid and Fediverse can complement each other.
First note that there are already ActivityPub + Solid combined applications, like openEngiadina (@pukkamustard), Agora (@Smag0), SemApps, life-server and other work, like @aveltens Solid Group App (see also Groups implementation) lend themselves well to become compatible.
To kick this off here are some points where each initiative imho could learn from the other:
Fediverse 2 Solid:
- Communication / messaging patterns at scale in production environments
- Lessons-learned in production environment (e.g. performance-wise)
Solid 2 Fediverse:
- Data storage strategies that are private-by-default (i.e. POD’s)
- Enjoying the full richness + benefits of linked data (semantics, ontologies, etc.)
- Identity (SSO, roaming identity), auth / authz
- Compatibility (specs, semantics, ontologies)
You probably have many more, and more detailed, additions to this list, so fire away
PS: I created this exact same topic on Solid forum (with some links changed in context).
Edit: Note that there is also Encrypted Data Vaults which seems to have much in common with Solid.