Introducing FediDB - DevTools for ActivityPub

Any chance to get access to FediDB (“confirmation mail”)?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same :slight_smile:

1 Like

While waiting for access, thank you and my 2 cents from seeing this image :

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-04 um 11.30.28

While I can assume that “Unlike” is probably Undo Like (as specified),

I can also assume “Photo” is the ActivityPub Image type.

But totally wonder what “Text” or “Poll” means as they do not exist in AP.
“Poll” is probably Question but with “Text” you can either be like Trump and send Note or you can be clever and write Article while also Document could be “Text”…

Could this become conformant?

1 Like

If this was the case I would expect a single button.

I’d assume you should be able to make custom activities and objects (or even templates for them?) and name them whatever you want. The “+” button suggests that. But, yeah, we’ll never know until we’re able to receive those emails.

Yes but this single button should be named Dislike which is in fact an ActivityPub Activity!

If people read “Unlike” on the front page (!) of an ActivityPub test suite then it bakes in the heads of users, it “crabs” brains (“crabs” as in “f.”) …

The problem is really again an again:
We are talking about a protocol.
We can debate if Unlike or Dislike is a nicer word (maybe let’s watch Life of Brian in between).
Let us just NOT use the wrong word with the protocol, Pöhse Puben (don’t know french Life of Brian) …

On hindsight Like and Dislike were maybe just two of a wide range of social interactions with some content, that were popular / common at the time. Currently many platforms use a broader range of emotions you can express. For example both Github and LinkedIn using “Reactions”, so maybe e.g. a React activity with either an emoji representing the reaction, or a vocabulary of reaction types would be a good extension.

Other than that, I agree. Unlike should be Undo{Like} (and usually a single button, but I understand if FediDB wants to make it more explicit what you are sending based on UI interactions, but maybe the button label should be ‘Undo Like’ as well then).

PS. No one tagged @dansup here, until now, with the notification email issue you are having… (which is most likely to give email notification)

Sorry, @dansup started this, so is informed about replies anywhere.
Discourse is a SILO software, not federated. So mentioning does the same as answering (?)
Apart from that, Sven applied with another email to FediDB and wrote it in the remarks box …

They are different things. Unlike is the removal of a like, Undo{Like}. Dislike is a downvote. And, consequently, undislike would be the removal of a dislike, Undo{Dislike}.

Well, I know this. Just Unlike is not in the vocabulary.
This is a project which received big nlnet funding, so I hope, Dan will answer.

Update by the EU funding programme for FediDB:

“So we cannot force people to work with other people - especially if
there is conflict between individuals involved that can be inconvenient.

The source code becomes incrementally available for you to use, so you
could set up your own instance.”

I did not know there is a difference after the “selected developer phase” then between “becoming public” and “becoming Open Source”, sorry!

So, let’s wait …

In theory, if we would get a confirmation mail, do you know what FediDB would offer ?

I am asking because 3 years ago, I wrote these ActivityPub validation schemas …
They are language independent and there are several validators where you simply could save tests.
Could go on with that …

Apologies for the delay, I have been pretty busy lately.

I have been refactoring FediDB so it can be used without an account/registration as that was requested a lot. I hope to release it this weekend along with the source code!

3 Likes

I have released the source code here and will be opening up https://fedidb.org to everyone in the coming days.

FediDB.org has grown beyond just developer tools, you can browse the network, discover ActivityPub projects or find other community resources!

The more I work on this, the more I realize that I cannot do it alone. This project has a lot of potential and should be stewarded by a community organization once it’s more stable.

Have a nice day :smiley:

3 Likes

Moved from Querying ActivityPub collections in response to:

Ehm, fedidb.org ?
Did anyone get access meanwhile?
The repository is an empty laravel app for now, so:
Are you talking about the site? Do you have access?

Yes, only from the description that is there (which looks promising, but very concise as to how it works after signup).

Ah, I see. Our 8 people and also 4 who commented on the forum are all waiting for access after we submitted our data.
I haven’t met anybody yet who got access.

Yeah now that the heat has subsided and my brain is capable of thinking again, I could really use some debugging tools with my friends/groups collections I’m now adding to actors. I did ask Daniel several times about access to fedidb.org but was mostly ignored ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Was the same for me.

I sent a toot replying to Daniel and pointed to this discussion (I moved some posts from the Query AP topic to this more appropriate place).