Murmurations protocol for directories and maps

Hi all – It’s great to see Murmurations under discussion among folks in a distributed data community like ActivityPub!

As @pukkamustard said, the source code is in various repos under https://github.com/Photosynthesis/. We are working on better public specifications. The whitepaper gives an overview, but it’s not very technically satisfying. For the more technically inclined, probably the best place to look for now is the schema repo, and the API spec document inside it (as a new user I can’t link to these, but they’re easy to find under the Photosynthesis account).

Our original approach was to follow the JSON-LD standard and embed Murmurations data in a site’s HTML.

But, this requires much more data transfer and parsing on the consumption end. So, we’re currently using a separate URL for the JSON data (either an API endpoint or file). That said, I think including a snippet of embedded JSON-LD with the address of the full Murmurations data is something we should look at.

If there’s a way to make Murmurations data interoperable with ActivityPub, we’re keen!

My impression has been that AP is designed for more chronological, feed-like content, while Murmurations is (for now) mostly about more static identity information about organisations. It would be great to hear your suggestions on how we can bridge the gap.

Cheers,
Adam

3 Likes