Poll: Should SocialHub be scoped to AS/AP or Social Web?

@silverpill, nothing changed in SocialHub forum. This is merely a discussion topic like any other.

The poll is just my conversation starter. I am personally curious how people answer.

I am sorry @hamishcampbell, I made the poll deliberately vague. Just as vague as the terms in its binary choice, namely “AS/AP” and “Social Web”. Third option “other” is an implicit “discuss below”.

My curiosity relates to recent passionate discussions. Among others about definitions and positioning of our ecosystem. And also to premature plans to change the website under which SocialHub is hosted. Two developments where SocialHub was not involved beforehand.

What is in flux and changing is the ecosystem around us. In this light it is best to reformulate your question…

What Is SocialHub About ?

This entirely depends on everyone’s engagement in discussions and DoOcracy. Without that SocialHub will be archive.org material. I created another thread to discuss people’s engagement…

:point_right:  Engage, participate, volunteer … Social Web: Our Way Or The Highway?

You directed this question to @how, but what SocialHub is, is a collective question. I can say that IMHO it isn’t what is written down in the About-page years ago, because that would be silly in an ecosystem that is so much in flux. An ecosystem where stakeholders position themselves based on current needs they perceive, and in relation to other players.

That is a very favorable reading. But I guess it depends yet again about definitions you give to things. I would formulate this differently:

• The ActivityPub-based ecosystem is evolving rapidly.
  • ActivityPub’s open standards were stalled for years.
  • ActivityPub specs suffer protocol decay and tech debt.

Both SocialHub and SocialCG are among a host of parties that try hard and attempt to evolve the ecosystem, while many forces are devolving the ecosystem. That is my opinion.

What we can do here at SocialHub is analyze these forces, see how we can better position this community to tackle them, and let that determine our mission and vision, and also our call to action, our rallying cry… because without active contributors all one can do here is Just Talk™ :people_hugging:

OFFDEM Fediverse track?

@how, you might add more information about the upcoming OFFDEM and a possible Fediverse track to be organized there?

2 Likes