Proposal: The browser as a client with a new web standard- cross- instance interactions on the web

I think this tackles a very real problem but one which I think is probably better tackled as an identity issue specifically.

Like I’m using mastodon and lemmy mostly through their native apps. I like apps to be accessible through the web and I use the web for the desktop but native apps seem to be a nicer ux for me and they also have this problem. Idk if this gets around that issue. There seems to be a deeper issue with how identity is dealt with.

I know I’ve brought up the solid protocol before and other people have discussed it on this forum. I don’t know if that solves this issue. But it at least seems adjacent to what I think the core issue issue is. We need an sso identity solution for the fediverse so that users can go from server to server easily. The experience you describe does seem good but it’s limited to just a browser and it requires a browser to support it. Is there a solution that can be addressed at a broader level?

2 Likes