Social Web and App Free Computing

This is what we want the Fediverse to be. If I briefly jump into an analogue with the hypothetical Metaverse, what I would get instead is I hit an invisible boundary and have to change to different VR goggles to be able to continue, and vice versa when going back in the part of the bar I am longer able to perceive.

But as I tooted just now to @helge there’s many analogies to make and different ways to look at things.

What I wanted to express is that the current way the fedi evolves doesn’t lead to my online world being a good extension of my offline world. I get a yanky experience. The Fediverse universe, or bar, whatever is mostly theoretical. Our shared dream.

Yes. In our case, it is like “the world as shaped by a particular (FOSS) development team in their project”.

As you say, indeed C2S would be on the path towards more integrated social experiences on the Fediverse. A C2S client being a single pair of glasses to perceive the online world.

But another need is objects in that world, where we can build with, like in Minecraft. A more component-based and service-oriented Fediverse that allows choreographing of the social experience, and indeed - as @indieterminacy mentioned - facilitates a certain malleability to each fedizen to customize as they wish.

Heterogenous Fediverse: Components & services

Just for shits and giggles, I drew an example occurence that one might one day see on a Mastodon timeline, in a more heterogenous Fediverse:

This is still very much a UI sketch as a microblogging app might present it. A different (C2S) client may have a completely different representation, and may for example drop the notion of a Timeline altogether. In this presentation the Group, the Event, and the Recipe might’ve been provided by separate independent services that are combined. And none of those by Mastodon.

The various widgets in this timeline section may have their own business logic and side effects. Many incoming msgs need not lead to additional timeline additions, but could just be dynamically updating a widget that was received earlier.

Update: There’s a bug in my sketch. To the toot about it I added:

Oops… there’s a bug in the software and Cassandra bringing 28 oranges is double posted.

I might draw another sketch showing Sandra sending a Support ticket to @JoinMyMeal service provider.
But I am lazy and Sandra is busy organizing that party…

1 Like