Continuing the DoOcracy

As the other thread seems to contain some unresolved stuff at the end. I’ve decided to start a new one. At the end of the wiki, @aschrijver details the following situation. Do we have any plan how to collect these?

Looking at the Account Migration, I was back to clicking myself through many places of documentation, i.e. in addition Mastodon, Mitra, Pixelfed, Lemmy.

It would be nice to have all this together somewhere. I might update these lists, and have them for some time.

3 Likes

This relates to the GIthub issue I created in the fedidocs.org project, asking @gabek about moving to the fediverse organization repo on Codeberg: Open to migrate to Codeberg? · Issue #3 · gabek/fedidocs · GitHub

Those links are all places where documentation is fragmented, and might be brought together under fedidocs.org.

Another open issue relates to creating a nice top-level portal at activitypub.rocks that can be easily maintained by a group of people. I mailed @cwebber to ask about this.

FEDERATION.md

It’s a proposed standard for documenting protocol extensions. Mastodon repository also has one: mastodon/FEDERATION.md at a9b5598c97fc4d3302b61b260097ef41c2ebe377 · mastodon/mastodon · GitHub, and here’s Smithereen’s: Smithereen/FEDERATION.md at 71bcc73b62743e864463840922b50771f025f0c2 · grishka/Smithereen · GitHub.

I think this was a great idea, and it needs promotion.

Perhaps there should be a FEP that describes FEDERATION.md in a more formal way.

A site like http://fedidocs.org can generate documentation pages automatically by parsing FEDERATION.md files.

1 Like

A couple more are listed in the Guide for new ActivityPub implementers: Federation.md paragraph.

Can, or might generate? Didn’t see code that does that now. But it is good idea, and can serve to keep project-specific federation docs decentralized and within its own codebase.

The delightful-club project by @yarmo gathers decentralized README.md from sub-list repositories using Codeberg CI to build: https://delightful.club

1 Like

Yes, sorry, I meant that it might generate. As far as I can tell, existing pages have been added manually.

I added two more. The next thing one can do, when seeing a new ActivityPub thing, check for the file, and if it’s not there annoy the author. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I created an issue in fedidocs about aggregating FEDERATION.md and a related toot.

This is a good “native” source Do-ocracy - Noisebridge with this reference in mind, am trying to find the connection between the title and the content of the thread.

Maybe it is this the is currently a growing stress between #WC3 working with formal consensuses and #socialhub working with a mixture of #NGO/ attempting grassroots/#mainstreaming process. Let’s try thinking of this positively as messy consensus

I think there is a consensus on socialhub that the #W3C path is ossified and slow, but we have no working consensus on how to be different. We do have #NGO grassroot small working parts, and libertarian cats fitting and purring.

NEXT STEP: Have we step up a meeting to talk to the WC3 about what we are trying to do? I have talked to some of them, they have wisdom to add to this.

I had another idea to contact one of the statistics projects about including FEDERATION.md. However,

So there doesn’t seem to be a good option.

It would also be good to convince one of these implementers to turn fep-f1d5 into something specifying what they actually need for their statistics.

2 Likes

@dansup may be interested to think about extending https://fediverse.info

Yes, as you describe it is the general idea. Combine the best of both approaches. The diagram in the wiki topic shows two branches coming from activitypub.rocks website, of for formal process, the other for grassroots. They are separate but can take all kinds of inspiration from each other and cross-pollination.

Hi @dansup :wave:

I just saw your toot about prepping fedidb.org for a launch. We discussed in the past ideas/plans you have to open up this initiative and get a community of collaborators going for its further improvement and extension.

It looks like there’s many points where fedidb.org can hook into the new initiative of @gabek and @j12t to launch fedidocs.org and crowdsource its contents. From a FediDB app entry you might jump into techdocs for that app at FediDocs, for instance.

Providing such cross-initiative links would be very beneficial to the Cohesion of the Grassroots Fediverse.

I just created a plea to the FediDocs initiative to minimize the fragmentation of our still tiny developer community in FediDocs let's bundle forces, and not fragment further! And the same appeal applies to FediDB, which can also have a FediDB dedicated forum category and repo’s under https://codeberg.org/fediverse with its own teams and membership.

1 Like

Do we need a Process for our DoOcracy?

Yesterday I suggested that the SWICG might need a process to close open issues in AS/AP W3C repositories on Github. Related to that…

Do we need a process to follow up on topics discussed in this forum? An action repository under https://codeberg.org/fediverse where issues are tracked, assigned and dealt with.

This forum is full of people suggesting actions, making proposals. Who’s following up on that? To whom are the proposal made? Well, to whom the glove fits in true DoOcracy fashion. But these action points are spread all over the place.

One example: In FEP-1570: The FEP Ontology Process @melvincarvalho makes several proposals:

These are candidates for having issues tracking them.

1 Like

I’m unsure if tracking progress or non-progress for the Fediverse Enhancement Proposal Vocabulary would make the process smoother. I think the main problem currently with the process is that everybody gets distracted on technical details … The first goal of FEP-2e40 is:

• Create a FEP Vocabulary based on identified best practices

If one would use issue tracking, this would be the first issue, all other issues are blocked until it is resolved. I’m not convinced this would get done. Also I’m not convinced people would then obey the best practices.

Side note: The vocabulary section of json-ld-bestpractices is still on “editor’s choice”:

https://w3c.github.io/json-ld-bp/#reuse-vocabularies

1 Like

GH 'ap-socialhub' profile points to 'codeberg/fediverse'

I noticed ap-socialhub (SocialHub) · GitHub interacting on the W3C repo’s, and having Collaborator privileges in them as well. I assume the ap-socialhub account is operated by @how.

But its relationship is unclear. Github allows a detailed markdown to be displayed on the profile page, and we could use that to provide all the necessary pointers to not only this forum, but the FEP on Codeberg, etc.

The ap-socialhub account was made to integrate the ActivityPub repository there with the #activitypub:issues conference here (which is restricted because I never managed to triage the issues and bring comments there…) I’m not sure how it came to point to Codeberg, but I guess it’s a good thing. Maybe @nightpool or @weex remember something about it.

1 Like

Ah, it is not point to Codeberg. But independently of what existed on GH, the FEP emerged and was moved from Cory’s domain to fediverse organization on Codeberg. Since FEP is a major process that we at SocialHub should keep going and growing, we might make that relationship. A profile README can be used to attract attention to what SocialHub is all about…

Here’s another person that wonders about the state of the activitypub.rocks website:

Unfortunately after sending 3 emails I did not get response from @cwebber about plans for the domain.