EC -- Workshop 2021-04-29

One thing I am wondering about here…

On the one hand it would be really exciting to showcase something as innovative as Immers Space. But on the other hand we are making a first step in this workshop to people who are very familiar with Facebook and Twitter, and are just venturing to dip their toes into new technology.

We got very, very important feedback at the last webinar:

• That (non-technical) outsiders don’t understand AP/Fediverse very well, or at all, despite all information that is out there. That we need to provide a much better story to “sell” the idea of the Fediverse.
  • That people refer to “Mastodon” instead of fedi, because the project is most polished and productized. And then they still find it complex, even with its resemblance to Twitter.

Immers Space is a step well-beyond traditional social media. To me it makes sense to address it in a follow-up event about Innovation and Future or something, unless maybe demo’d briefly in birds-eye overview at the end of the workshop.

Remember, our audience are people working in very formal organizations, invoking channels for very professional uses, atm. There was also mention in the webinar that they are not used or able to handle the more 2-directional dialog the fediverse would be excellent for (they are used to just broadcast their message out).

The integration of diverse, independent apps and how they interop together is the strongest case to highlight. In our last prep talk Jean-Luc Dorel mentioned the apps that receive most attention from EU/EC side currently: openEngiadina, PeerTube, Solid, Nextcloud, XWiki, Wordpress, Kazarma (and - mentioned earlier - Drupal).

1 Like

Hey Arnold,

please note: It is just open to everyone -
or as Amy wrote multiple times now also about the W3C Social CG
“All welcome!”
Please, again, do not try to restrict the community.

pukkamustard talked about openEngiadina last webinar.
From my view, the EU can’t use peertube cause all their content is multilanguage and has subtitles often also when livestreaming, for parliament events always.
Solid and Nextcloud were free to read the announcement.
Again, everyone welcome.
Cristina from XWiki had a Talk.
I can contact the wordpress author too, we made a podcast together but it is a bit short note …

This is not about restrictions, but about onboarding the EC, whom are main audience of this event, for a workshop where there are only 2hrs available. And what I said are mere suggestions considerations, open to any discussion, and we’ll go with whatever we decide together.

What happens in the workshop will be up to us. So far I received 2 SSH keys, so it’s not gonna be a monster. Most people will be watching and not touching the console.

My take is that we have a demand for installing 2 software : #software:mastodon and #software:peertube.

We can split into two groups for installation. Once this is done, and it should take half-an-hour, we can start using one and the other and demonstrate the integration.

I’m also willing to install a Drupal instance so we can show that it integrates with M, but still needs work to work with P – this is to bring the discussion a bit on what are EDPS plans with regard to Drupal, since the EU uses it as their public website CMS.

Anyone who want to demonstrate their #software can do so, and I’d be happy that we use Immers.space to show that there are as many applications as you can imagine that can be built with ActivityPub support. We made a few tests yesterday with Jean-Luc Dorel from the EC and @datatitian, and Jean-Luc was pleased by this prospect. I proposed we keep the main event on the BBB until everything is in place, and then we can play among all ActivityPub implementations, including Immers Space Hub.

4 Likes

Hi, the workshop is for EC if I understand it correctly.
How many EC members do we expect who are interested in installing software?
Don’t they rather want to see/understand what you can do with it after it is installed?
Is what is going through my mind right now. But I don’t know the target audience.

Many of them will be spectators. Actually I do not expect much presence. Most will watch the videos.
So it’s better to make it attractive and fun than boring. The more the merrier I would say.

1 Like

I can help with demoing walk through of backends and modding ect…

1 Like

I like the idea of starting on BBB, then those who are interested & comfortable can try the immersive experience. Curious about ensuring we capture recording - if I have one PC connected to immers space and screensharing to BBB would that work, or should I sort out an independent recording option?

1 Like

I guess we can try more recording options and later do some editing.

I’ll get OBS setup here to make sure a recording is captured. I could also stream live to a peertube if one is available

conf.tube does not run 3.1.0 but I have https://peertube.public.cat that does and has live streaming set up. I can invite you there with your socialhub email if you like.

good point, feature requested :wink: Sebastian Lasse, redaktor.me: "Hey @rgggn@floss.social – just curious: Will yo…" - Mastodon

1 Like

I’m on US time, so I’ll be asleep until an hour before the event. I’ve got OBS & PeerTube setup to stream and save the Immers Space side of the event. I think I’ll also be able to use OBS Virtual Camera to stream the Immers Space feed into the Big Blue Button meeting as my camera feed.

The Immers Space room we’ll use is https://immers.link/CpbaLCn

2 Likes

We might be able to get Eelco Dolstra, the original author of Nix, to do a brief introduction about the benefits of packaging (and maintaining) fediverse-tech before we kick off the workshop, so after my introduction. Mastodon is already packaged, PeerTube is on its way.

Also, @swentel is still in between houses and does not have a stable internet connection, so he would not be able to showcase the ActivityPub-plugin. Perhaps we can get in touch with a core contributor of Drupal, they might get it running, will let know asap.

I think an intervention on packaging would be much better between the moment we have installed the instances and the moment we can use them. Delaying the workshop with presentation is not on my agenda.

After install, we can take the time to create accounts, ensure everything is OK, etc.

True, let’s do that, makes more sense.

Yep keep it practical and focus on the installation, product functions and backend mod/admin tools?

2 Likes

Will, I have to say I am really happy there was time in the workshop for the Immers demo. It was delightful and a real good addition to the more ‘mundane’ applications that people are familiar with. A great showcase of where great innovation can and will take fedi. Thank you!

2 Likes

Please follow up to EC - NGI0 Liaison -- Webinars and Workshop April 2021.