Federated Moderation: Towards Delegated Moderation?

Note: Cross-referencing to the topic Activities for Federation Application? where @nutomic refers to 2 #software:lemmy open issues for adding allowlist-based federation between instances, where a request to federate must be sent between them.

I added a comment to the Lemmy issue:

[…] I’d like to mention a brainstorming topic I created earlier, namely Federated Moderation: Towards Delegated Moderation? (also cross-posted to Lemmy):

Federated Moderation deals with making common admin and moderation tasks first-class citizens of the Fediverse.

And not app-specific, whenever possible. In addition to sending requests to federate between instances, the Federated Moderation domain (a design pattern: AP vocab extension + rules) would also include:

• Announcing instances to the fediverse, so there’s no need for manual maintenance of app-specific lists and instance-collection sites that aren’t integral part of the fedi itself.
  • Discovery of instances and their metadata as described above (app, federation type, CoC rules, description, etc.).

Note: The mechanism for announcement and discovery closely resembles how the Murmurations protocol by @olisb @geoffturk et al works. This protocol allows you to define JSON-LD profiles to fill in as templates, e.g. a “Federation Profile” and then publish them from an instance (in the case of Murmurations to a centralized index server, where other apps/server can subscribe to. PS. I created a topic to Federate Murmurations protocol, and MurmurationsProtocol#30 in their tracker)