Fedipage v1 released! The static site generator with ActivityPub support!

She is finally done and has a new home! Fedipage v1.0.1 released

I made the code mostly configurable via a toml file and some environment variables. So you can spin up your own version of the site very quickly. I also added very detailed step by step instructions anyone can use to bring up a copy of this site for themselves.

I will make its own post on this shortly, but it should be ready to play with . I just wanted to follow up here since this is where it was first mentioned.

Here are some details:

The new website is https://fedipage.com
The new handle to follow it is @fedipage@fedipage.com
The source can be found here: v1.0.1 · Tags · Fedipage / Fedipage · GitLab
Detailed install instructions can be found in the README here: Fedipage / Fedipage · GitLab

Note the old page (https://flear.org) and it’s handle will stay up but it will solely post on the topics it was intended to cover (open-source in ham radio).

Some of the features in the release are as follows:

• Moved almost all site-specific stuff into configuration variables to make form easier install.
  • Organized the layouts/partials so that it is very easy to update the the templates.
  • Requires Vercel and Firebase for full ActivityPub support but will provide limited support as a purely static site as well. Limited support means the account can be seen, and its posts, but following wont be confirmed.
  • Wrote detailed step-by-step install instructions to make it easy for everyone.
  • Supports the following ActivityPub features:
    • Following confirmation
    • Notifications in your feed when new posts are made
    • The various pages show content from the fediverse interacting with it like reboosts, likes, and even replies which show up as comments on the page.
  • Tags are supported with a few options:
    • Tags can be configured to automatically be added to every post.
    • The tags added in the front-matter of a post can be added as fedivese tags. This can be set independently of any default tags.
    • Tags can be rendered invisibly, not showing in the text of the post on the fediverse yet still contain the tag metadata for searches
  • An ActivityPub alias can be set if you have other accounts across the fediverse. The alias can also allow you to migrate existing followers to the web page (untested, proceed at your own risk).
  • Microblog side-panel can be configured to show content from your alias fediverse account.
  • Multiple categories of blogs can be handled simultaniously and categorized and tagged independently.
  • Front page is constructed from markdown and broken up into short codes. So the front page can be modified without touching the html.
5 Likes

I followed @fedipage@fedipage.com and it keeps sending Create activities to my inbox (10 at a time), even though there are no new posts.

2 Likes

How often does this happen? Is it every 5 minutes? or has it only happened 2 or three times?

I have manually changed some things that would have triggered that 2 or three times. But if it is happening every 5 minutes then that is a problem and that means send-note has a bug.

It happens every 15-25 minutes.

1 Like

Hmm that is very very strange… it should happen every 5-10 if it were a legit bug… but every 25 is still likely due to send-note. I wonder if its somehow triggering every time I redeploy… can you check if there were periods between 5am and 10am EST that it stopped completely? If so that means it only happens when im pushing and would help me debug what might be happening.

Thank you

It sends activities all day long, with irregular interval. Sometimes it’s 15 minutes, sometimes 20. There are bursts where it sends again after 1 minute or so.

1 Like

The bursts after 1 minute is likely my doing, but they should be rare… if thats happening every 20 minutes though that is definately a bug… ill try to look into it thanks.

I have now fixed this bug. This shouldn’t happen anymore except for rare instances where I intentionally/manually do it (which hopefully will not happen again).

2 Likes

I don’t know how well or not this fits, but have you considered checking out alternatives for Google Firebase, such as supabase.com which can be self-hosted? As you know on the Fediverse many people aren’t too keen on using services of what is in essence an advertising giant and have it deal with personal information (or even doing anything that facilitates already overly dominant position of these mega corporations). I am among the people that avoid software that integrates with such services.

Indeed I have. I am using firebase because the code I ported from was using it and I didnt want to waste time migrating. At some point I’d like to find a few options for backends people can pick. I’d also welcome such patches.

1 Like