FEP-302f: QuantPub — federated personal metrics for quantified-self sharing

This is the discussion thread for the proposed FEP-302f.
Draft: And/or will be prefixed with - and ' ' otherwise. Color Change output color. Followed.
Pull request: …soon…

  1. What it is. A small ActivityPub extension for sharing workouts, sleep, HRV, steps and other personal metrics between federated instances and home-built trackers. Think of what Strava shows a follower, a card with stats and a chart, but across the fediverse.
  2. How it works. A plain Note carries a few quant: properties so Mastodon renders a normal status. The machine-readable data lives out of band: a /.well-known/quantpub discovery document, a structured post endpoint and a bucketed series endpoint, all plain JSON. Peers that recognise the pattern fetch and render natively; everyone else sees the status.
  3. Privacy is normative. Sharing a summary never exposes the series behind it. Series and GPS routes are separate explicit opt-ins. Unshared data is 404, never 403. Every data response is no-store, so deleting a post revokes access immediately.
  4. Running code. Aurboda implements the full stack including peer enrichment. VertMatch added the publishing side within weeks of the draft going public. The design generalises the Note-plus-pointer architecture FitPub already uses, and §10 describes additive adoption for an existing install base; discussion with the FitPub maintainers is at fitpub/fitpub#455.
  5. Where I would like input. The out-of-band channel as the normative core rather than in-band JSON-LD. Capability URLs as the followers-only baseline with HTTP Signatures as an optional grant. Whether quant:Exercise should exist or everything should be an Observation with an activity type.

Earlier discussion on r/QuantifiedSelf

2 Likes

The PR is up at #938 - Add FEP-302f: QuantPub — federated personal metrics for quantified-self sharing - fediverse/fep - Codeberg.org

I am a new user here, so I am not allowed to edit the post and add a link when it already has ≥ 2 links.

I considered having challenges/competitions in the FEP as well, but since sharing activities brings value by itself, I think challenges are better as a followup. But, I am quite new to ActivityPub, so inform me if I’m making the wrong assumptions :folded_hands: