Howto facilitate the fediverse for its own development?

I agree on this topic of “dogfooding”. I think the aversion stems from people perceiving what fedi currently offers as still insufficient / too immature set of tools, or just not knowing how to best wield fedi. What tools do we need? Chat, forum, docs.

Microblogging can be a replacement for chat (if we don’t use matrix, which may be better suited). For forum with a more async, long-term discussion and archive forming Lemmy comes close. Having docs in a federated manner would be nice too. Federated wiki’s? Semmy: Social knowledge fabrics?

Having never tried them in practice the Zap family of projects may offer a lot of useful stuff natively as well.

I am open to any effort to dogfood-some-more. Think it is important that a) it will stimulate other fedizens to jump in, and lower the barrier for them to do that and b) supports the processes to evolve our landscape well enough, i.e. brings a measure of efficiency (that frankly we haven’t got anywhere atm).

Update: The accompanying Lemmy post I created also has some nice discussion.

I’ve always been averse to the term dogfooding. First and foremost because dogfood is essentially literal waste byproduct from animal agriculture, you shouldn’t feed it to your dogs.

But then going deeper, it implies this idea that users are lesser beings, that the great developer is humbling themselves somehow. It’s really kind of gross.

I instead prefer the term peoplefooding. And when you think about it this way it makes sense that fediverse developers don’t people food. Because the products they are creating are dogfood, not good enough for actually getting stuff done. Perhaps if developers were not so content with waste byproduct garbage from capitalism, from sheeple agriculture, with “minimum viable product”, then it would be a no-brainer to use it themselves.

Make peoplefood. Make some gormet meals. You can’t build a nutritious feast from byproduct.

:sweat_smile: No worries, though a common term it is easily avoided. I will adjust the title. Though your interpretation is opposite to mine. I picture a chef, say Gordon Ramsey, in the kitchen saying: “Really? Are you serving that to our highly respected diners without tasting first? How do you know it doesn’t taste like dog food then? Only if you first dig it yourself, can it be good enough for others”.

Hah. I thought I came up with a good anology with the sheeple agriculture byproducts. After all, things like Facebook etc exist as a sort of honeypot to convince people to route all their interactions through them in order to harvest data and sell hyper targeted ads…

So if you build a platform that is a ripoff of a honeypot…

Maybe I’m not that great at explaining things after all.

@Sebastian on another topic just reminded me that I had previously posted about SIOC ontology, or Semantically Interlinked Online Communities which might provide an interesting basis for a fedi dogfooding platform, as it combines the tools that would be needed in its information model and is also Linked Data that can be mapped on top of the ActivityStreams vocabulary that fedi uses.

This is the SIOC core ontology in a diagram:

SIOC core ontology)