Installation issue

I’m not familiar with Drupal, and I could not find anything clear about what private://activitypub/cache means in terms of UNIX. After fiddling around I figured it might be by default $app_root/sites/default/files/activitypub/cache but it does not seem to be the case. I tried using $settings, etc. but never found a good solution: I’m stuck with the following errors:

If only I knew what is the corresponding path on the filesystem I could check for permissions. All the permissions are OK for www-data user which is running the PHP process.

Apart from this I have a running drupal 8 (9 would not install!) at https://drupal.demo.activitypub.eu that alledgedly support ActivityPub :innocent:

1 Like

Hi @how , too late but I write here to help others with same situation.
There are issues in how mkdir is done with private filesystems wrapper, specially when using the open_basedir feature in php. To avoid this TL;DR ; Quick answer : you must create the needed directories manually .

Under the hood drupal core is using mkdir, and this function is called in recursive mode, so if you define your private directory in /var/www/mydrupal-project/mysecretdirectory , despite it can respect the open_basedir defined in php settings, it will try to mkdir /var, then /var/www, then /var/www/mydrupal-project, then /var/www/mydrupal-project/mysecretdirectory . And so it will fail at first step as /var is outside of open_basedir.

The documentation that explains how to workaround it is at File module overview | File module | Drupal Wiki guide on Drupal.org (end of “Managing file locations and access” section) , also there you’ll find the reference link to where the drupal core issue is tracked .
The workaround (just help info) in activitypub module is in Check if private directory is configured [#3303559] | Drupal.org

1 Like