Let's federate all WordPress events around the web!

Several projects are moving towards having federated events:

According to HostingTribunal WordPress powers 34% of Internet websites (:scream_cat:), which often has a calendar using some plug-in like Events Manager. What about allowing all these events to get federated? :heart_eyes_cat:

We already have two plugins to federate WordPress articles, maybe they can be a starting point to federate also events?

The best IMO would be create a plugin compatible with the most used events managers. :green_heart:

PS
Please disable the 1 link limit…at least put 3 for new users: it’s frustrating for new users (which mostly are power users if they are here)… :pray:

4 Likes

This is great, I was looking into this very idea last year. Basically, I had settled on using Jeremy’s ActivityPub PHP library, but development of the lib seems to have stopped at the beginning of the year, and I started working on something else before trying to implement this.

Again and again I hear from people that Events are one of the main reasons they are on fb.

Anyhow I’m open to collaborating, though time is limited atm!

2 Likes

I also spoke with him and the development got stuck… :frowning: but seems that somebody else did the job:

What do you think?

@Emphack Please do not try to circumvent Discourse’s spam prevention measures—it will just make you look like more of a spammer, and Discourse will take automated action against you. I’ve increased your trust level, please edit all of your older links into the original post.

2 Likes

Oook, just trying to push ActivityPub forward and promote related projects! :smiley_cat: :deciduous_tree:

PS
fixing the posts

If this works for Wordpress, which would be wonderful, how well would it work for MediaWiki?

(Alliteration not intentional.)

1 Like

no idea, sounds OT, maybe you can create a new topic about it! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

@Emphack you might be interested in the developer discussion about event federation at Petites Singularités.

What is your relationship with the Wordpress development team? Would you take charge of a Wordpress category here?

1 Like

Very interesting, thanks! :smiley_cat:

I’m just trying to aggregate informations and share ideas: I’m using WordPress and several plugins (like the AP one) for a community project, but I’m not currently developing any of them.

If you’re already registered could you link this topic in that thread please? :green_heart:

I found a team which is actively working into something pretty close to a WP/AP Events/POIs plugin: FairSync.

They are more focused on using Solid in order to sync Events and POIs between WP instances, but they are open to integrate also AP if somebody is willing to help.

Any volunteer? :mage:‍♂

2 Likes

That’s a great idea!

The events calendar from modern tribe is the best event platform for WordPress I’ve seen. Something compatible with that would be a boone.

I’m not much of a programmer but I’d love to support a project integrating with this plugin!