Signaling side effects asynchronously by generalizing Accept/Reject

Background

Per S2S (since Accept/Reject are not described in C2S):

7.6 Accept Activity

The side effect of receiving this in an inbox is determined by the type of the object received, and it is possible to accept types not described in this document (for example, an Offer ).

If the object of an Accept received to an inbox is a Follow activity previously sent by the receiver, the server SHOULD add the actor to the receiver’s Following Collection.

7.7 Reject Activity

The side effect of receiving this in an inbox is determined by the type of the object received, and it is possible to reject types not described in this document (for example, an Offer ).

If the object of a Reject received to an inbox is a Follow activity previously sent by the receiver, this means the recipient did not approve the Follow request. The server MUST NOT add the actor to the receiver’s Following Collection.

Note that for S2S purposes, Accept/Reject is only really defined for Follow activities. Per the Activity Vocabulary, it is also implicitly appropriate for Offer and Invite, but also Example 10 shows a much more ambiguous Accept Person targeting Group, which seems semantically awkward.

Possible generalizations

Currently, the majority of the network uses Accept/Reject only for Follow on an Actor, and thus Accept/Reject is used only in that narrow definition. But there are other Activities that might require these semantics…

Accept/Reject Join

Closed-membership Group semantics is maybe the most obvious benefit of generalizing Accept/Reject. It is of course possible to both Follow and Join a Group; Follow Group would semantically translate to being interested in what the Group posts to its outbox, as per the base AP spec. Some softwares handle Group membership based on its followers, but this is a bit of a hacky way to do things that is motivated by compatibility with the existing “Follow Actor” network. A much more semantic way to handle things would be to allow Join/Leave Group, but then Join would need Accept/Reject to allow modeling closed groups (at least, in a way different than just using the Group followers with manuallyRequiresApproval + Announce any activities received at inbox – which is still a valid way of doing things for “mailing list” use cases). This would be clearer than Accepting a Person into a Group.

Accept/Reject Create

When sending a Create to a remote server, there will generally be side effects interpreted by that remote server’s software. One common example is that sending Create Note with inReplyTo may attach your Note as a reply to another Note. But this is not guaranteed to happen, e.g. if the remote software has a concept of “disabled comments” or “approved comments”. In that case, the remote software may want to signal that the use of inReplyTo will not automatically cause side effects to be processed, in the same way Follow must first be Accepted or Rejected. It might not make sense to explicitly require Accept/Reject semantics for such a case (as they are for Follow), but they can still be used for hinting the result.

Accept/Reject Update/Add/Remove/Delete

In cases where an actor is performing actions on an object other than creating it, these actions may require approval from another actor who “owns” or “manages” that object. You may want to Accept an Offer of an Update, but it would be simpler to just Accept the Update. Per the AP spec, the only considerations made are as follows:

7.3 Update:

The receiving server MUST take care to be sure that the Update is authorized to modify its object . At minimum, this may be done by ensuring that the Update and its object are of same origin.

7.4 Delete:

(assuming the object is owned by the sending actor / server)

7.8 / 7.9, Add/Remove:

• the target is not owned by the receiving server, and thus they can’t update it.
  • the object is not allowed to be added/removed to the target collection for some other reason, at the receiver’s discretion.

So we have some guidance toward the “receiver’s discretion”, but no formal way of signaling that discretion back to the author of the received activity.

But why not just use HTTP status codes?

HTTP status codes are synchronously returned at the time of the request, even if the request is handled asynchronously. You may send out a 202 Accepted to indicate that the document was successfully received, but later send out a Reject Activity after some manual action was taken by an actor. This manual action may be performed long after the initial delivery to the remote server.

1 Like

One other tangential thread of thought: perhaps some of these things would be easier to conceptualize if we had cross-domain authorization and thus servers could only send out authorized activities. But I suspect that authorization alone won’t solve this, as there is still the aspect of actor approval. We could very well conceive of a system in which an actor handed out capabilities to write to (Update/Delete/Add/Remove) a certain object, but they may not wish to do so if they want to keep that capability to themselves and instead manage changes themselves.

Relevant issue/comment: https://github.com/w3c/activitypub/issues/332#issuecomment-449176638

maybe I want to allow the people I’m following post media into my inbox and all other users should only be allowed to post me Note activities.

I’ve been thinking about sending Reject activities for errors in delivery (sending a private message to a user who only accepts private messages from followers, for example)

I think this is a good idea, but i would like to see some implementor support before defining it further.

1 Like