SocialWebFoundation - what do people think?

Regarding an activitypub.rocks developer portal I answered here.

Other than that I feel - and I think you agree - that what makes the AS/AP Fediverse so unique is that it was entirely spun up by the Commons, including the W3C open standards that are its technological foundation.

I spent significant time and effort telling folks that - with increasing uptake and adoption - the commons stands to lose that unique position. That unless we manage to uphold and guarantee a bottom-up open and decentralized ecosystem, a corporate takeover is imminent. The trend for that is very clear.

As a firm representative of the grassroots movement / the commons, and active years-long community facilitator for SocialHub/FEP, here is where I prefer to spend time (and deliberately not in SocialCG), as a custodian of the 3-stage bottom-up standardization process.

To me a taskforce suddenly popping up was highly surprising, and a form of top-down decision-making: “Let’s take that away from SocialHub” without informing/consulting upfront.

I really, really hope not to wake up one day and see a msg of “The FEP is now at SocialCG and on Github, managed by its own taskforce” without prior notice and discussion with the community.

5 Likes