Standardizing on a common Community domain as AP extension?

A Movie is quite a Beast of Roles :slight_smile:

Indeed, thanks for those links, always good to see real examples!

1 Like

Currently I would be mainly interested in the ā€œMutual Aidā€ vocabularies.

And Iā€™d like to add that when I looked at mainstream vocabularies, I was a bit disappointed to not see ā€œcultural or religious conceptsā€ at the top level.
A simple example, a ā€œRestaurantā€ ā€“ I would expect it to describe first if that is
kosher, halal, vegan, vegetarian, lacto-vegetarian and if alcohol is sold.
There are many people which canā€™t deal with other restaurants and are lost if that is not described ā€¦

I like that but Iā€™m a bit irked by ā€œcultural or religiousā€ when it comes to vegan being lumped in with the others. Veganism is about ethics and not culture or religion.

I canā€™t readily think about how this relates to my extensive research into restaurant and food delivery metadata, something which Iā€™ve put 1000s of hours into, butā€¦

Generally I would say veganism stands out from the others because it is not based on dietary choice.

It is based on ethical choice. It is more closely related to metadata about carbon footprint, ecology of packing materials, and fair treatment of workers and so forth. It is so much more than just a dietary choice.

Currently I would be mainly interested in the ā€œMutual Aidā€ vocabularies.

Might be of interest: @mayel has worked on a general taxonomy that would have its own pub in the fediverse, available to others. Not sure of the current status.

One other thought about standardizing roles: Seems like a lot of domains will have some standard role names that most people use, like your movie example. These probably describe real things that people do. But some groups like to make up their own. In that case, I think it is all part of the current experimentation in new organizational forms and governance and relationships in groups.

1 Like

@mayel Please, please ā€“ update us :slight_smile:

These probably describe real things that people do. But some groups like to make up their own.

Oh, yes, forgot to mention: The things, I do are just to set a base.
Groups can make their own. We are really liking the approach which skohub does (see page or videos below) and we think that we can take it further.
If the group vocabulary itself is an ActivityPub Collection, the software would just either take this as a source for skohub (instead of a common git repo) or the software can just sync the Collection and the repo ā€¦

In another thread, I wrote:
The skohub.io people are powering a large portion of the infrastructure for german universities, e.g. the System where I find the books in uni libraries nearby, they know what they are doing - to learn about the benefits watch the short Demo Video or Conf Video ā€¦

Just a quick update.
We have published the first part of the Vocabulary at the page https://redaktor.github.io/vocab/
[ repo ] following the https://skohub.io approach.
Search is not working yet, itā€™s just a temporary place there ā€¦
Now we also did a mapping to wikidata.org and will also enrich it with some wikidata concepts.
I had just asked how to ā€¦

Every term is an ActivityPub Actor (skohub). Now if the Vocab is a Collection then any Person, Groupā€¦ can extend it.

2 Likes