Standardizing on ActivityPub Groups

(Apologies, I have injured my hands yesterday and I might write less and slower than I might have wanted)

Group posts are not going to work by mentioning a group but by selecting the group in the UI, so there is no specific syntax for mentioning a group. However, at least in the current state of my (unfinished and unmerged) implementation, groups are actors that are in the same namespace as users, and also require webfinger (we might be able to lift this restriction, but it would require changes i haven’t started working on yet), so searching them would use @group@server.

I am not sure. I think it’s way easier to reason about both UX and protocol if posts are restricted to only one group. It also falls in line with your own concerns:

And the restrictions @macgirvin suggested:

I definitely agree here, and your suggestion of toot:Group seems fine to me, although I’m not sure whether that should be a toot thing (especially since, annoyingly, the toot namespace points to the general project website, not any protocol-specific page with readily-available documentation).

How would the toot:Group not being recognized prevent the posts from being processed, though? Since the posts themselves would be regular as:Note or similar objects, and as:Public would be in the audience, the recipient does not need to know how to handle toot:Group to process the post.

Yes, that’s why, as much as possible, I want group posts to be incompatible with group-unaware software.

Yeah, inbox forwarding seem like the natural way to do it, but this means you rely on the group actor distributing it, which you can’t guarantee. A malicious group actor could also send you an Accept and not forward anything. Forwarding also requires either LDSigning or making the whole activity publicly dereferenceable.

I’m not sure I understand.

2 Likes