Toward ActivityPub 2.0

I will add my 2cts to the discussion and refer back to the title of this topic: Towards ActivityPub 2.0

If one thing stands out to me in ALL the many discussions that occur all over the place in different settings and channels, then it is this:

Technology vision

The discussion is all over the place, utterly chaotic, lacking direction and focus. Technical insights, implementation details, app-specific use cases, pros/cons of other technologies. Big lists of things to add to AP specs. It is all fine and great to behold. But it is also utter chaos.

What is the Social Web and where does ActivityPub fit exactly?

How is ActivityPub positioned?
What needs should be addressed?
What can I do with the technology?
What shouldn’t I use it for?
Where does it fit in the larger technology landscape?
What is the level of ambition?
What promise to the future does AP hold?

Only by answering these kinds of question can there be a scope.
Only with a good scope can there be decomposition into constituent parts.
Only with proper decomposition can the technology become accessible.
Only when the technology becomes accessible will it become more attractive for broad adoption.

One thing is clear to me. And that is that the current Fediverse / AS / AP et al constitutes a loose framework with vague contours of an exciting paradigm for "The Decentralized Web. Where the only possible way for the ecosystem to grow is by ad-hoc, on-the-fly interoperability that naturally leads to incompatibilities, and explosion of different flavours to support, i.e. with assured protocol decay.

3 Likes