Webinar with the European Commission and AP Community

#activertypub like #RSS and the #www came out of grassroots movements, they bring world views with them its WHY THEY WORK. Yes the world view are in part incompatible with #mainstreaming, so the is a strong burocratic desire to hide these world views and then push them out of view/existence.

To get away from the “big picture” lets focus on this presentation.

• Its open to both world views, we need to find a good balance so the grassroots do not feel blatantly sold out and the Eurocratic do not get scared and run for their power politics bunkers.

The balance is the key, we have a good group here lets try harder/better and be nice.

I think I am being nice, hamish. I simply proffered my perspective and experience. I didn’t accuse anyone of playing power politics, or pushing agendas, or aggressing anyone. You did that. Please stop.

PS FYI, I published the EC’s first RSS and customisable XML feeds in 2002. It took me 6 months of patient explaining to get the Sec-General’s OK.

1 Like

So lets make this happen :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re stepping aside to dislocate this polarization forced on us by centuries of power politics. By doing so we’re not characterizing our interlocutors as a uniform caricature, but recognize their diversity. By showing our unity in diversity we’re already impressing the EC, I can tell you that. We’ve had comments about how our organization of the Webinar is already very well appreciated in comparison to everything they’ve seen so far where people try pushing their own agendas. Let’s keep this in focus. Everyone in the room has things to gain from this liaison.

3 Likes

The reason I mentioned the point is not for the people involved in preparation right now, but for those unknown folks in the crowd that may be joining the webinar. This gives some requirements for the event moderation to take that into account. That’s all.

Full response, slightly off-topic (click to expand)

I am just highlighting the need to build bridges, cross gaps, so as far as I am concerned we are on the same page.

We are quite a diverse group here, and from my perspective we need to focus as much as possible on our common goals for the technology at SocialHub, i.e. maximising our cooperation in our role as technologists, and minimising more political differences where they threaten to distract from that goal. I have no hidden agenda’s and absolutely abhor power politics, just to be clear on that. And in case you want to know… in terms of politics I am quite progressive and very much in favour of finding alternatives for aggressive hypercapitalism that is destroying society, and very active on the solution-side wrt to that goal.

The reason I mentioned the point is not for the people involved in preparation right now, but for those unknown folks in the crowd that may be joining the webinar. This gives some requirements for the event moderation to take that into account. That’s all.

Indeed. These are the goals. The event is the first introduction to gradually establish closer bonds and familiarize with each other’s viewpoints and interests.

Let’s clear the “smoke” and get on with the balancing “showing our unity in diversity” where are we?

It’s not a bad presentation, just needs a few areas clarifying and then a polish, my thoughts.

1-4) are fine

1. Needs to be clear about web01 (the openweb) web2 (the #dotcons fight the openweb) and disaster non web3 we have today, on a positive note activertypub could be the openweb03 - I like to use the metaphor open/closed as its simple we have the openweb and the closed web.

OK we likely have other options on this lets here them.

6-12) are fine

1. OK could be clearer.

2. is the same as 13?

3. "Represent European values in the way you engage

The medium is the message" not clear

Needs a stronger ending

1 Like

I had @natacha on the phone earlier and she made a couple of worthy comments, that I’m vaguely paraphrasing here (sorry N., feel free to correct and expand):

1. Given that some in the audience might have had their own private phone numbers leaked from Fakebooz (the whole French government had theirs leaked), we can definitely be more incisive about why the Fediverse offers a more viable alternative to manipulative platforms. Everyone knows the problem, focus on the difference in approach (not to say solution).

2. The EC is very much interested in hearing about communities and self-reliance, and that tech crank, to use a term that’s been used here, is not helping conveying this message of subsidiarity and self-sovereignty that the grassroots have been pushing: the ActivityPub standard is only there because it was adopted by a large number of communities, isn’t it? Tech is not apart from society, it comes from (some part of) it – better it coming from people inspired by EU values than self-interest.

1 Like

Hello! Where was the meeting happening? I am trying to spot a link around here

Hi @CristinaDeLisle, of course, the link is here: FediverseWebinars

1 Like

I made an announcement on https://ps.zoethical.org/ with a special dedication to @hamishcampbell :wink:

3 Likes

Maybe another line alongside “were you hacked?” (cf Facebook leak) could be “were you FLoCed?” (see Am I FLoCed? A New Site to Test Google's Invasive Experiment | Electronic Frontier Foundation). Maybe invite them to check both after the webinar@

2 Likes

Noticed we somehow have lost the open/closed/open simple metaphor.

Can we get it back

“After the Web Enclosure” change back to “The closed web”

The ending is still damp, looks too much like it was writern by committee.

My though is maybe a bit “militaristic” but it has heat, more hot ideas?

"ActivityPub and the EU

It’s a good fit both strategically, in challenging the big US tech corporations dominance and tactically, in it being simple to implement and open to innovation as it is outside of anyone group control and agendas.

In tomorrow’s workshop let’s look at practical small steps to make this happen."

I rather like your explanation, it might be good to directly address the EU/US/China rat race, which would be familiar and relatable for EC policy people (it is a bit polarizing/generalizing though, if worded too strongly). The workshop would be the third event, so the sendoff could be something like: “In the upcoming webinar and workshop let’s look at …”.

I would not know how to integrate it into the current slide by the way. We could have it in the speaker notes, to end things off on? So first explain this slide, and then end things off with your statement. I will at least add it in the speaker notes for now.

1 Like

Yep treading softly is valid, maybe we can warm up the existing ending so it is warm and damp (ok taking this piss a bit, but you get what i mean) needs some enthusiasm :slight_smile:

1 Like

@j8ter regarding the introduction presentation. I made a compact version of slide 2 in Welcome to the Fediverse - HedgeDoc that maybe you’d still like to use.

1 Like

@aschrijver my husband just pointed this to me - https://files.mastodon.social/media_attachments/files/106/080/053/639/532/377/original/a504d24cb74e2611.png - he said you did it, he spotted it on mastodon - it looks so much better than the image I did on the slide with The Fediverse is a European Take on Social Networking. Do you think it’s possible that I use this image instead on that slide? I would be so happy to use it :smiley:

Thank you… yep, I just made a last update on Meeting notes for prep call EC Webinar 19 April - #22 by aschrijver announcing just that. If you like to use it, I can add it in. It will need some further twisting to look good, I think

1 Like

It’s exactly what I was trying to do last evening, but I gave up, as it was not working so well so I went for the flags + the fediverse symbol. I wanted those links to show between various locations, but I was not finding a representative image that would work. This one I think it’s perfect - please let me know which one is the final one you like. Thank you!

1 Like

I’ll work on the slide and give you a heads-up once it is in.

Update: @CristinaDeLisle it went quicker than thought :slight_smile:

I have added it in now with a transparent (black) background. This because the use of that background is then consistent for the entire presenation, and also because then both the colors are way more vibrant, as well as there is more emphasis on the fedi network structure. On the other hand with a white background you have the white / blue EU combo, and the blue text is a bit more prominent.

You can test for yourself by changing background in the image to background:#fff. I’ll let you choose what you like the most.

2 Likes