Webinar with the European Commission and AP Community

Tried to raise awareness for NGI0 and ActivityPub (and more money for nlnet) during the whole EU Digital Flagship week and beyond at e.g. Masters of Digital, digitaleurope summit, Open Source Policy summit, OFE lounge, Lobbying of internet giants webinar etc. pp.
by being “the normal one” and “bombing” the sidechat and Q&As :wink:
Got personal reponses and DM attention from the organisers and had so nice conversations.
Encouraging everyone to do the same in the future …

When I attended these events, I thought a lot about the roles and tasks which ActivityPub could serve within the EU.
And so, e.g. the producers for an EU plenary session became a Persona for redaktor.

Maybe we can sketch out a VISION for the perfect ActivityPub EU softwares in the webinar?
And I mean ActivityPub “CONFORMANT” softwares, the part of the spec. where you can read “the entirety” 3 times!

I try to share the redaktor findings (maybe useful for the people who got any EU funding [we failed 11 times in 2 years]) because the surveillance monopolies get nearly all the EU money …

The European Union has 27 member states [wishing the best to my scottish friends, so let’s think 28 while also thinking of Catalunya and solidarity for Roma and Sinti and … but anyway] …

In these 27 states

• 24 official languages exist
  • more than 50 languages are actively spoken
  • 3 writing systems are used [Latin, Greek and Cyrillic].

The whole EU public presence is pretty much multilanguage or audiovisual (or both) !
All the live content is translated simultanuously and the terps play a vital and critical role in the administration with great responsibility.

Sometimes it is a legal requirement that the content exists fully translated in 24 languages !
Frequently even press conferences about the same topic are held in multiple languages [e.g. attended DE and EN for #DSA]

The most important properties to us [which is used in 0 (zero, null, zéro) of actual ActivityPub softwares] are the multilanguage properties:

nameMap
summaryMap
contentMap
preferredUsernameMap
etc. !!!

In the spec, it is this nice NOTE in the BOLD GREEN BOX saying

“Properties containing natural language values, such as name, […], make use of natural language support defined in ActivityStreams.”

A plenary session consist of the Event with multiple Actors (also Groups) and has multiple Collections (private and public).
A common public collection would contain the video recording for https://audiovisual.ec.europa.eu plus related press releases, stockshots, photo news and documents or articles related to the topics of the session. As well as maybe the polls.
So e.g. Video, Audio,Image,Document,Article,Question come together.

We can go one step beyond and e.g. cover the protocol in a OrderedCollection with interjections (like the famous ones by Martin Sonneborn [wink smiley]) with the Mention type …

We see, it is mostly important that most ActivityPub properties can have multiple values !!!
And it is also important to have a nice way to “share” the type Collection

So, we have nice multi-language and -values support in the protocol but due to the lack of funding not in the software.

Now the producer creates the Event and it could be type: [Event, Service] because if it an Actor then it can e.g. Announce “Plenary session foo in 10 minutes” and relay comments etc.

The politicians Join when they arrive at the seat.

When the session ends and the video recording with all the multilanguage captions and transcripts etc. arrives, the producer Announces it to the Services audiovisual.eu, documents.eu which can present it in different visual formats without loosing all the related content.

Hm, seems it would be nice to have an ActivityPub CMS but the EU does not fund CMS, sad :rofl:

There is a small multilanguage section which is not even directly in the protocol but thanks to the magic of the Linked Data core is easy to solve:

It is about

• time based content
in conjunction with
• multilanguage texts

You ask “What?”
Simply said e.g. the captions for the plenary session video …
Where I click “Deutsch” when I am to tired or lazy to follow :slight_smile:

So, anyway, redaktor wants to go one step beyond and find a “more native” way to do time based content (anyone remembers the magic of Mozilla Popcorn Maker by that time?)

If e.g. an Audio has startTime and (duration or endTime) and it has attachment:
If the attachment has the same within these constraints, it is shown at this time below the Audio, so when you speak e.g. about a Place, you can also show it to your listeners.

Seeking opinions here

1 Like