Webinar with the European Commission and AP Community

I would be available for about an hour and a half now, I can’t seem to figure out how to print/save/convert a HedgeDoc-page to a PDF that keeps the grey background/white text intact. Do you have any idea? Of course an alternative is that I just recreate the look and feel of the HedgeDoc-slides into a PDF (which is what I’m doing now).

I am outside now, but for a pdf handout white background would best, I guess. There’s a png of the map with white background (but with a border), while the 1st page img does not have such variant I think (you might use Inkscape, or I can fix things when I get home).

PS. Did @CristinaDeLisle and you do a sound test?

It would not really be a handout, just something to replace the default background (showing a TU Delft-building) with the first slide, so as people are entering the conference room they immediately see the topic and can think about Ostrom’s Law. Then after the discussion I can switch to the second slide to show the points of discussion, meaning I would no longer have to share my screen for this. So this is only a background, not something to hand out or distribute afterwards. So keeping the grey/dark background consistent is better I think.

Edit: I will leave the BBB-room open for now so if you want to (no pressure) you can check out the intro and discussion slide in the background.

Yes, yesterday evening we did a sound test, Cristina has a perfectly understandable headphone w microphone that worked like a charm. Also tried out sharing screens, webcam, everything worked well.

2 Likes

I now I see. It could be any full-page A4 pdf in landscape orientation, right? If you don’t find a fix, I can look into it, start of the evening somewhere…

Jup, works fine. I think this resembles the Hedgedoc-format sufficiently, but that may just be my lacking graphical skills :wink:

I plan to attend. I’m not a EU citizen (though some of my family are), though I’m still happy to observe or participate in the discussion.

1 Like

2 quick clarifications:

The main problem I had with Unmediated Citizen Engagement is this:
a) the EC spends a lot of time using social media platforms to reach citizens. I am not a fan of this approach, but at the time they saw it as a lot easier than the alternative - making their own website interactive and building a community there (more here: From #EP2009 to #EP2019: a lost decade?)
b) this slide (seems to) argues that the EC can reach citizens now via the Fediverse . This is not true, yet. We could use their help in making it happen, but from the perspective of the EC’s social media teams, spending resources on the Fediverse would appear to be a waste of time, as almost noone is there.

So all that’s really needed is to:

• emphasise the benefits of having unmediated access - ie, the benefits to them of a successful Fediverse
  • emphasise that they can help make the Fediverse successful by posting there anyway.

As I said in a meeting, the EC has been enduring an internal debate on what internal comms tools to use for many years. They won’t want to open that up again. There’s no chance they’ll use the Fediverse for internal comms. Trying to sell that simply looks naive, sorry.

2 Likes

Is the room open as am getting a spinning waiting icon :slight_smile:

It is indeed open, are you waiting for some confirmation on the echo/microphone test (that can sometimes take a bit)?

Can you post the current link agen as it might have accidentally changed - if you start and stop meetings in non proscribed ways this happens sometimes

Hello again. As a followup to today’s webinar, I’m trying to stimulate interest in attending next Monday’s webinar among social media teams across the EC. I’m thinking of adapting the video I put together last week to help them understand what this is about.

So I just wanted to repeat the question I asked last week: was there anything technically wrong with those slides?

2 Likes

As I said in prior feedback I especially love the part “how we go forwards” and explain the USP of a federated landscape. I think there’s nothing particularly wrong with the entire video, but as @how says there’s different ways to present it. It needs to be quite condensed, so need to necessarily pick & choose the perspective that most appeals to you.

I personally wouldn’t use the term ‘geekdom’. Though some are very fond of the word, to people not knowing the term it may have negative connotation.

Thanks for that. Yes, I will avoid geekdom, although it would probably work with the audience I have in mind, I can understand others not appreciating it. But the main thing I wanted was confirmation that there was nothing technically wrong with the way it presents the USP.

I’ll make the video essentially so I can send it to my contacts to explain why they should get up to speed and investigate further. A small fraction will, at best.

1 Like

It’s not because your audience expects caricature and polarization that you should lower your discourse to such simplification. In doing so, you encourage such behavior. It’s impossibly hard to work from “Us and Them” to “just us”.

Interesting perspective. Noted, with thanks.

Heya… regarding the preview presentation of my talk for Monday, I don’t have time to do it today… too much going on. But I will be there on Monday, super bright & early, to give my talk, and will be spending most of my weekend preparing for it.

Sorry if you set aside time to attend this morning! I’m struggling under the load of tasks I’m on, and couldn’t do adequate preparation during the week, hence prep getting shunted to the weekend for me. Sorry!

2 Likes

Hi Chris, no problem, would you be okay if we would still go over the presentation slides and add suggestions/ideas in the speaker notes? My idea was to have the same setup as during the 1st webinar, where I do a brief introduction of the event and its origins, after which I leave the floor to you for the presentation. That way I can do most of the recapping and you can focus on the content. You can find my introduction slides here → HedgeDoc - Collaborative markdown notes

Hello all,

I want to say a big thank you for all your involvement regarding the presentation from the first webinar! I’m adding it here, since this place is a statement of our work together. :hugs:

It was a very interesting experience for me and I think we managed to create together a content which is valuable to the community. I did my best to integrate all feedbacks / ideas received and I think we all did an amazing job working together. :+1:

Thank you and fingers crossed for the following webinar! :crossed_fingers:

Kind regards,
Cristina

5 Likes