2021-04-23 Social CG meeting

Hi all,

We’ll have a SocialCG meeting this week, which will take the form of an unstructured chat about fediverse topics of interest and whatever related things you’re working on, hosted by @bengo. We can also reflect on this week’s EC Activitypub Webinar and think about what we’d like to cover at the next one.

All welcome!

Date: 2021-04-23T16:00:00Z

Join:

Amy

2 Likes

Thank you @rhiaro !

I think it would be fun to kick off the meeting with any project updates from socialhub-allied project team members. Probably no more than 5 minutes. Let’s try no more than 3 per week, to take up the first ~25% of the meeting.

Please post here if you’d like to give a short project overview or update.

Otherwise we’ll just chit chat, and I think that often way the right things will come up as they come up.

Proposed Agenda (WIP):

• Reminder: notes in IRC
  • 5min - reintroductions/hellos
  • 15min - Tiny Project Updates/Reminders. No more than 5min per project, ideally less.
  • 5min - @bengo - reminder of resolution to resolve to this github repo as issue tracker for now: RESOLUTION: This is currently the primary issue tracker for SWICG · Issue #27 · swicg/general · GitHub .
    • This way we can clear out those issues down to zero. If we get it to zero, we can also change the issue tracking method, e.g. to Nextcloud or files-in-git or something?
  • End of agenda proposals
  • 40min: chit chat about upcoming EC webinar

Please make a PROPOSAL ahead of time in this thread for agenda time. Some proposals may not be accomodated until next week, especially to accomodate discussion for the webinar coming up fast.

2 Likes

We might start with Hubzilla, Castopod and Kazarma as these are slated to participate at the next EC webinar, and we can discuss specific things that’d be of particular interest for that.

1 Like

Hubzilla and Kazarma are missing a category here in #software. Are the developers here already or should I contact them?

I am not sure… I thought I saw someone with Hubzilla in profile description. It is probably best to contact them.

robin Yay

redaktor was incredibly active
@bengo 5 minutes is really punishment :wink:

However:
What we did in the last week, after the NGI0 and DAPSI rejections was:

• Markdown parsing
  • an Audio player with .vtt / .srt / WebVTT support which will also be the
    foundation for Video

VTT can solve a bunch of problems (e.g. subtitles for translation of content that cannot be understood by the viewer or captions for translations/multilanguage or chapters … In terms of audio they can help hearing impaired etc.)

This is one of the examples which just needs an ActivityPub Object and I thought a lot about different patterns for the fact that most properties can have “multiple” and “multi language” values.
Would quickly like to demo.

2 Likes

Does that mean you continue developing it as free software?

Not fulltime, not in a team with 8 people. Thanks to the eurocrats:
Pretty much alone and the main focus is now a Headless CMS for the largest german publishing house.

This EU thing feels like kindergarden. I have talked to MEPs not only accredited but also very personal.
Everybody was expecting the NGI programme to fund solutions with a benefit for EU citizens.
They are my elected MEPs.
They want ActivityPub projects making sense.

Unfortunately there seems to be a totally incompetent administration and funders not doing what the elected people want. This is neither transparent nor democratic.
And while Anke is describing an EU funded fediverse in one hour in the parliament, they fund hypercapitalistic clones or private passports. I have no doubt that the EU will digitall fail completely.
Another “lost decade” …

We’re being more influential than you think. We’ll see in next funding round, Horizon Europe.
The EC is huge and works in chunks of seven years. But they’re very interested in ActivityPub.
We had great feedback from the first webinar. They’re just getting started, give them time.
Actually I think the ‘private counsels’ are more to blame than the Commission. They are not from the free software community and they’re scared touching stuff they do not know. But the Commission is not stupid and they will eventually turn to us. The cascading funding scheme makes up for the slowness of the administration.

1 Like

Interesting.
I do not want any private person to be influential in the EU.
I want elected MEPs to be influential.
We called it democracy.
Especially we do not need wannabe kings.

And shhh:
It is totally unrealistic to do such a software alone, see the UN (longterm) findings of Michael Downey, you need at least a 5-diverse-people-team funded.

MEPs are pretty pissed about nlnet already.
Now that I took Venture Capital, I doubt, I will apply again at EU, the killing machine, pushing people at Open Sea, rendering hommage to dictators.

My goal isn’t to punish, it’s to make space for many people to present, and also for everyone to listen about more than one thing.

Remember the old aphorism, sometimes attributed to William of Ockham:

It is vain to do with more what can be done with fewer

Here is one way of using the 5min parsimoniously:

• 60sec: summary of the project
  • 60sec: summary of recent progress
  • 60sec: summary of the intention for the next 1-4 weeks, if any
  • 60sec: Any #good-first-issue or way community can help (if willing)
  • 60sec: “If I could wave a magic wand, I’d…”
2 Likes

@bengo

Of course. You missed my desperate pleas, requests, petitions, appeals and encouragement that a SocialCG meeting should last 2 hours

Maybe, I should prepare a presentation and play it doublespeed :wink:

We are meeting in here due to me not being able to start a bbb. Sorry all. https://meet.jit.si/SocialCG

The logs can be found here:

Minutes of the meeting

I stand by my point that 1 hour is to less time when we have awesome demos or important topics.

Personally, I was running out of time, so here the major points which @redaktor.me did not showcase in the demo:

• Any webcomponent/widget only needs an ActivityPub Object to work,
    the containers (mini Preview, Card, Row, full Page) expect an Activity and any Object type has it’s own widget expecting, well, an Object … These are fully responsive (was width: 50%; in demo), have noJS fallbacks and adapt to the Container

• Any webcomponent/widget is Themed !!! You can easily create your CSS theme to use them in your client. They can look nearly as diverse as nature is.
    The aspects (called Design Tokens) like Typo or Colors which I demoed at the beginning can help you to create themes.
    And the widgets come whith Variants like flat, filled, raised, shaped so that the food is varied.

• Themes have dark/light. You can always change to the light theme but I only showed the dark one.

1 Like

Hi all,
I just stumbled on this, too late obviously, so I apologized for not being here to represent Castopod.
When is the next meeting?
Ben.

Hi Ben,
a very good question. Usually on Saturday as we do alternating FRI/SAT …
@bengo @rhiaro Is there an announcement already, should I write 1 ?

Highlight

Note that there’s a big issue with @cwebber’s (lack of) presence that makes him a bottleneck. Chris is way too occupied on his own stuff to even be able to respond to requests from the community, or do it juggling with eggs. Since conf.ap.rocks has been broken for some time, and ap.rocks proposed changes have not been merged so far, the Social CG discussed that we should either take collective ownership of the activitypub.rocks domain or move to another one (@bengo has activitypub.com and I have activitypub.eu, that we’re using here for emails because it was simpler to create a new one than access ap.rocks at the time).

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s important for all kinds of things to be subdomains of the same apex domain that is owned by one community member. If your goal is to host something on the web, I don’t see how @cwebber is a bottleneck. You can host it on a domain that you control.

I see this as one of the benefits of ActivityPub-style federation: we can spread a community out across many separately-governed DNS names.

But that does not solve the issue, it only creates more single-point-of-failures. What we need is a proper way where multiple people have access to community resources. (btw, I have fedi.foundation domain).

1 Like