Improve "Onboarding" of fedizens but avoid problematic engagement features

I think this is also the mechanism that @Sebastian is referring to.

exactly this.

What I meant by “step in the right direction” was “at least they now proactively suggest people in onboarding as described somewhere in Improving Fediculture ∞”
To be honest, the way mastodon simply copies features from twitter makes me angry and there is nothing I can do against it.
Captain Obvious: Nice people often try to avoid being popular.

In fact, it (popularity) creates multiple problems.
They all come down to my sentence “making the loudest even louder instead of equaling voices”.

Think about commercial advertising, nowerdays called “influenters”.
When the Fediverse reached a critical mass but promotes popularity, it will get influentia …

Let’s ignore popularity and fight misinformation.
Please let us be “engagement”, “interests”, “truth”.

I always very much liked the appeal of Fediverse apps being fundamentally different than traditional social media .

was also one of two main points in my letter to Robert Riemann / Commission …

The other one was to show them the fragmentation:
“ Because they are ActivityPub conformant and implement C2S (!), the user can use any client with their server of trust. There is no fragmentation! ”

While when you say, you need a mastodon server to use (only) the mastodon client, the user has their data spread across different servers.

The vision of ActivityPub is so similar to indieweb’s micropub
In micropubs a user has their own server and uses any client with it. Why does micropub people understand? Can we too?

1 addendum to hamish:

Since bios on Mastodon can get pretty wild and we’re working with limited space the UI will display only one line of the bio and attempt to cut it to the first sentence only

This is what I would not do.
Please let us be careful with other peoples content an not censor anything by default and let us try to not loose content.
We are working with limited space but design can solve it.

I tried to show it in demos on FRI Social CG but showing anything in 5 minutes is ridiculous :frowning:
However :wink:

redaktor has components like

• Collapsed
    like <Collapsed lines={3}>content</Collapsed> would collapse it to 3 lines and as noJS-fallback has html details

• Paged
    is like a rotator with arrows (sequential content) and radio-hack as noJS-fallback

• Popup
    can help on mobile, problem noJS fallback must come with extra <noscript>

l