Discussing Zappa: a bonfire extension to deal with online misinformation

From our announcement post:

Zappa is powered by user communities’ assessments of content (links, news, video, pictures) to develop common practices and patterns to fight fake news.
Such assessments which will then be used to train artificial intelligence engines. The user ratings and AI predictions will together generate decentralised “Zappa scores”: helping users to classify and act upon content based on each community’s methodology and preferences.
We didn’t went way more far than this in outlining how zappa will work in details, we all have lot of plans in this regard, but we want to co-design it together with interested communites.
For the time being we prefer to stay with ambiguity as much as possible, and we welcome you to join the discussion and participate.

We aim to use this thread to gather feedbacks and idea, and to update the fediverse on zappa further developments.

3 Likes

Just a FYI. One member posted on our Humane Tech forum and is working on this with a whole vision on how to tackle misinformation. I gave some feedback to that, and follow-ups now and then. Also my fellow admin Sam Klein, did extensive work on fighting disinformation at MIT Media Labs and is now working on Underlay.

2 Likes

This would be very welcome, I have asked on the qoto developer forum about extending the embed information tool to allow people to cite posts on the fediverse with time, date and link to original post. I need to chase this up but being able to easily cite sources of information could be a good way to tackle misinformation.

Even if people end up citing where they got information from that turns out to be misinformation it helps, as others can check where this has originated from.

2 Likes

thanks for the awesome information.

2 Likes

Following other examples, here the full Culture of Solidarity proposal - plus (at the bottom) some updates requested afterwards: