Looking for Volunteers: Organize a Fediverse training for EU representatives

Thank you so much, all of you! On the fediverse toot there were also a number of people who have shown an interest. These are @rysiek and @bram@koyu.space.

:pray:

Since the launch of the pilot I have had informal contacts with people that want the fediverse to be successful, and see potential for more broader test-driving and adoption within EU institutions. They informed me that a training is much needed and would serve to create further buy-in with other involved departments. They are however not directly in the decision-making chain of the pilot, and hence I cannot name them as contactpersons here.

It is good for people to realize how special it is that this pilot has been started in the first place.

At the EU side there is a very complex, very formal organization structure when you consider anyone involved in operating social media channels. Many different departments, institutions, directorates where every decision or action goes though multiple levels of management for consent. Any public message of any formal account or contact person needs to be vetted.

Within this organization it is the task of EDPS to show and convince other departments about the value of the Fediverse.

Current status

• I mentioned there are volunteers willing to help (that’s you fine folks :hugs: )

• I got informed that EDPS can’t arrange something on a short notice. We may have up to late summer.

• This means there’s ample time to prepare something, and maybe to organize a bit more broadly (see below).
  • I requested there will be a contact person that interacts on this forum, who we can refer to when we organize.

• This is in the pipeline, and is also not an easy decision process.

All in all, to quote @rysiek it is likely that this moves forward “slow but steady”. I’ll add any updates to this thread.

Proposal: Broaden the training initiative

One thing that is clear is that there’s a broader need for training material on how to deal with the Fediverse in the best way. There are many other (governmental) institutions and non-profits that would benefit from more guidance material.

So in preparation for EU training we might create material that can be reused in any similar context.

On the fedi thread @notizie@poliverso.org posted a great fediquette definition and several others posted instructional resources. On this forum we have the Guide for ActivityPub users and there’s much more stuff dispersed across the web.

We might craft a succinct fediverse instruction manual and post it at an easy to find prominent location.

2 Likes