Webinar with the European Commission and AP Community

Sounds great. As you mentioned @how is responsible for everything in the presentation so far, so it would be best if you could also be there hellekin (Friday 15 CET). We could use Sylk, which is an open source videoconferencing SIP/XMPP/WebRTC-solution (server hosted by the project): Sylk. No account or login needed (does work best with browsers like Firefox, Brave, Chromium, not so much with Safari, Edge. etc.) I will start gathering my thoughts and suggestions for the presentation today.

Edit: of course @aschrijver it would also be great if you could join us.

1 Like

Can we use the BBB we always use - as trying something new is tiring and tends to lead to endless tech blocking of social outcomes.

@Sebastian can you setup a room.

2 Likes

I am fine with this. I tested a few times live streaming on Peertube but the results were not satisfying for a reason I still do not understand. Maybe @sebastian has a different experience with conf.tube?

Given the short time frame I’d rather rely on a solid and known setup. I tried contacting @eth01 to see if we can reuse FOSSHost’s instance we already used for the APConf but he did not come back to me so far. (Ah, I see we may still have accounts there from @hamishcampbell’s response)

We can still upload videos to peertube afterwards.

Yes, I intended to. I simply :heart: the post because a response for “I will be there” was overkill :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey hellekin,

livestreaming in Peertube did not work for the 15 remote chaos events which I had organised but seems to work for digitalcourage, included the contact before:

I gave it up to contact, see the eMail about the complaints about missing https for the conf site. I have no access at fosshost.
But people complain at me.
Just btw: The same with FediDB where it seems only some exclusive devs. got accesss.

1 Like

Hey Hamish,
hey everybody,

I will step back 100% from all the voluntary work, sorry.
Maybe best to ask rhiaro.
I don’t even know, if I will attend.

After spending 6.000 € for the events of 4 years and co-organising 2 conferences and more than 20 events, we have now sold 40.000 lines of the redaktor server code because of the lack of EU funding and recent rejections.

Personally I applied 11 times in 2 years (also DAPSI, prototype) and that all steals my time and money which was dedicated to Open Source.
The last info, I got now, was that they “never fund CMS” [after encouraging 2 years and after politicians and e.g. the president of FSFE approached me to encourage to apply].
Various EU actors are very “astonished” now that they do not fund “CMS” which is a very generic term. The EU expects from them that they fund the visions and future and not clones of hypercapitalistic monopolies and the past.

We are a team of 8 people but right now I am using every single second of my time to work on the Client and pushing to GitHub - redaktor/widgets-preview – nothing else …
We sticked together a very active group working on an EU funded fediverse but for a reason not in the public anymore.
We had a team meeting and the last decision was to mind the Eurocrats but to approach selected engaged decision makers.

1 Like

Let’s talk next week to discuss next years’ funding strategies if you like to. I think this community needs its own battle horse for this one.

1 Like

In fact, I could not think of a better thing for next week.
A little wink but: Honestly.

Also got selftests. Hamish, please catch us up with the boat.

This is withholding me from adding comments on the presentation currently.

Still in lockdown, back on boat mid-May and heading to Belgium so could do some EU meeting mid-summer.

1 Like

https://socialhub.activitypub.rocks/pub/ec-ngi0-liaison-webinars-and-workshop-april-2021

Am not seeing any voices from the people who admin or mod the instances or user voices - think there are people who could widen this out to better represent the “community” of interest.

Am happy to talk about AP and the expirence of being a mod on 3 instances and how this is a different expirence due to “federation”. Would like to see a few other voices from the use/production side of community.

For the video meetup today with @redaktor.me bowing out do we have a link to a BBB

You can change your username at https://public.cat/auth/realms/public/account

1 Like

I have the same issue where I can see the presentation, but cannot edit or suggest as I am required a SAML login. I will write some suggestions and edits locally then.

Same answer… Same same same.

1 Like

For the video meetup today I suggested a Sylk-room before, just to be sure here the link again: Sylk. For BBB, we have access to an instance run by a Dutch university (https://bbb.tbm.tudelft.nl) but of course the instance used for the AP-conf would fit better. Does anyone else have (admin) access to that?

Good point.

And I make mine clear since we talked about Zot based on this:

Eugen is a clever developer and I respect him, but he simply does not have the experience and insights into creating global protocol decisions that might potentially affect billions of people and will work equally well for Twitter clones and newspaper publishers and bloggers.

I agree. But it is a matter of who gets funded.
And I want to thank you all for the solidarity to get ActivityPub conformant softwares instead the minimal mastodon API. But about

The W3C/ActivityPub editors decided that since Mastodon has more potential “users” than any other ActivityPub adopters, Mastodon’s implementation is being praised as the gold standard for interoperability.

WTF?
Did he ever attend a meeting, e.g. one of the 20 last Social CG meetings?
I have exactly the opposite impression !
The W3C/ActivityPub editors want “diverse clients with generic LD-Servers” –
that was made clear a thousand times !!!
Whatever has Eugen to do with the ActivityPub authors ???
I mean nobody uses ZOT but that is not our problem nor should it become!

This is clearly a matter of funding. For sure not a matter of the authors.
Now we have an exclusive group of implementors having access to FediDB which looks like a thing to test the mastodon API.
But we (the now 5 teams who wait) have no idea.

Yes, rhiaro and me, so
https://rhiaro.co.uk/contact

1 Like

Hello, @j8ter ! I tried now to access the Sylk room linked by you and it seems to not work. Is it working on your end?

As input to the meeting I typed my notes here: Meeting notes for prep call EC Webinar 19 April

2 Likes

Apologies, typo, here it is correctly: Sylk

BBB-room instead → FediverseWebinars