Feedback requested: Drafts which are ready to finalize but go stale

Please discuss here or at codeberg. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you @weex for the FEP gardening[1].

Note that Spring has come and people tend to be less active as Summer is approaching. That saidā€¦

Proposed solution:
A gentle nudge on any FEP discussion topic at SocialHub or elsewhere (see the discussionsTo metadata field) if more than 14 or 30 days have passed. Iā€™m not sure if that can be a bot on just the FEP topics on SocialHub.

Yes, we can certainly use a script to bump the topics with lingering discussions and eventually mention the draft authors, using the discourse-api.

Is this a generic issue that illustrates a problem with the FEP process, or can this be addressed by nudging people as you propose?

1. ā€¦ and keeping the discussion on topic: low or no-value comments following a topic proposal are very much spammy. This is just link placement. We do not like spam. This is a warning to the person who posted the spam that was swiftly deleted. ā†©ļøŽ

2 Likes

Yes. Thank you. :+1:

From a personal feeling, pushing a FEP to reach state FINAL doesnā€™t seem that desirable:

• I will no longer be able to change it.
  • I have to go through all the comments to ensure I have taken others points into account.

I think @trwnhā€™s suggestion of a having a FEP landing page might help. One could have a front page that only shows finalized FEPs. This might push peopleā€™s lizard brains into wanting to finalize FEPs.

From another viewpoint: Gamification tells us people react to rewards, having your FEP get a more prominent place, sounds like a good reward.

3 Likes

We do have a FEP landing page. Itā€™s called FEP Index and is editable from the first post of About the Fediverse Enhancement Proposals. I do not think itā€™s up-to-date though, and it could certainly be better. Also, it could change ownership :wink:

2 Likes

I donā€™t think I have appropriate permissions. I get a ā€œReplyā€ button and not an ā€œEditā€ button.

I get an ā€œEditā€ button for:

Yes, the first post may be turned into a Wiki and then the ā€˜Editā€™ button is displayed. Only thing with Discourse wiki posts is that - when they arenā€™t last in the thread - they arenā€™t bumped to the top of the list when an edit happens. With so many places to update something manually, it is very easy for something to get out-of-sync.

Members of @fep.hosts can edit the FEP Index. Maybe @helge could be one of them.

2 Likes

@helge would be most welcome in the team of FEP editors, being very active in the process and improvement thereof.

1 Like

I can help with FEP and gardening of its assets.

I will step aside for my own FEPs and FEPs, Iā€™m involved in, though.

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind offer to help the FEP process along! You are now in the FEP editors group.